In one of our previous articles, we reflected on how current arranged marriages function and in this article we are going to provide you with some insight into why there is a decline in arranged marriages in certain communities.
Recent Posts by ravens
I suspect we have all seen videos or read articles from the recent heartbreaking news of George Floyd. I am sure this all left you in shock, disgust and confusion.
It’s 2020 and racism still exists.
We implore you to use your voice at this time. Don’t be a bystander to this.
It’s important to understand the layers and depth of racism to identify, address and tackle it.
The Four Dimensions of Racism
Policies and practices that reinforce racist standards within a workspace or organisation.
Multiple institutions collectively upholding racist policies and practices, ie. society.
Racist acts and micro-aggressions carried out from one person to another.
The subtle and overt messages that reinforce negative beliefs and self-hatred in individuals.
Understanding what optical allyship is;
“Allyship that only serves at the surface level to perform the ‘ally’, it makes a statement but does not go beneath the surface and is not aimed at breaking away from the systems of power that oppress.” – Latham Thomas
Ravens Ait have created a list in which you can exercise your voice and knowledge on the matter;
Re-educate yourself; through TV, Film, News, Podcasts, Activist videos, etc. Here is a few suggestions;
- Film- The Hate U Give, 2018
- Book- White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
- Podcast- About Race with Reni Eddo-Lodge
- Documentary Film- 13TH, 2016
- Book- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
- Book- **NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER** How To Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- Podcast- Brené with Ibram X. Kendi on How to Be an Antiracist
- Justice for George Floyd https://www.change.org/p/minneapolis-police-department-justice-for-george-floyd
- Justice for Breonna Taylor https://www.change.org/p/andy-beshear-justice-for-breonna-taylor
- Sign the public open letter against racism and police brutality https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/george_floyd_loc/?slideshow
- Julius Jones is innocent. Don’t let him be executed by the state of Oklahoma. https://www.change.org/p/julius-jones-is-innocent-don-t-let-him-be-executed-by-the-state-of-oklahoma
- Justice for Belly Mujinga. https://www.change.org/p/govia-thameslink-justice-for-belly-mujinga
- Justice for Delsie Gayle, the elderly lady racially abused on Ryanair flight. https://www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-justice-for-delsie-gayle-the-elderly-lady-racially-abused-on-ryanair-flight
- Stop the UK government from sending rubber bullets, tear gas and riot shields to the US. https://www.change.org/p/boris-johnson-stop-the-uk-government-from-sending-rubber-bullets-tear-gas-and-riot-shields-to-the-us
There are so many ways to use your voice, signing a petition or several is one of many ways you are actively involved in being an ally.
- Official George Floyd Memorial Fund https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd
- HELP POWER THE MOVEMENT https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/support-us?refcode=coc_website_popup
- Black Visions Collective https://www.blackvisionsmn.org/
- NAACP Legal Defence and Educational Fund https://www.naacpldf.org/
- Racial Justice Network https://www.totalgiving.co.uk/charity/racial-justice-network
- Send an email to your local MP https://www.writetothem.com/
If there are areas we have missed, we welcome a response and engagement, let us know.
Use your voice and stay safe | Ravens Ait | Sales team – Sasha Glasscock
“Arranged marriage or Love marriage?” – This is a common question that lots of wedded couples face in the East and for all purposes a question that seems to unfairly suggest that marriages can only be one or the other.
Everyone knows the classic phrase ‘Your body is your temple’. We all know how important it is that you should care for and look after your body. This includes everything from the level of physical activity, to what you consume.
We all know a key part of business is having a team that works well together; it is basically like having a well-oiled machine. Whether it is now or later in the year, here are some great ideas that can strengthen your team and boost that all-important morale!
Working from home? Try these.
- Morning coffee sessions
Try Skype or Zoom, you can do this every morning or every week on a Monday. Discuss your tips and tricks for staying healthy in-doors. Talk about your weekend, show each other your homes and get the family involved. Even the dog! Gaining insights into each other’s lives significantly improves team engagement. Being able to laugh together and empathise with each other’s situations brings you closer together.
- Movie night
Netflix has a party mode where you invite others to watch your favourite shows and synchronises everyone’s stream, there is event a group chat facility. Try watching something like The Office. Having a laugh drawing comparisons between characters on the screen to team members and events in your own office! Grab a drink, some snacks and feel that bond grow stronger.
There are plenty of games you can play whether on your Whatsapp group or through video call. Try the deserted island game, come together and pick seven items i.e. buckets, sheets, lighters… But each person can only pick three; you must explain why and be as calculated as possible. Then they can join teams with others and share resources. This creates wholesome competition and enthusiasm within the workforce.
Planning ahead? At Ravens’ Ait we’ve hosted many different and exciting team-building events. Try these:
- Dragon boats racing
With our venue being an island, we are naturally surrounded by water. So why not use it! Work as part of a team to secure first place, get fit and have fun. It’s exciting, different and a sure-fire way to build healthy competition while creating a memorable experience. To get involved visit: https://gable-events.co.uk
- Sports day
Every one of us remembers how fun sports day was. Why not revisit it! Our Marquee & Lawn space can hold up to 400 standing guests and there is something in it for everyone. Whether you ace the egg and spoon race or are the strongest in the tug of war, you will laugh, shout and most importantly have fun!
All of us know, and most of us love the Great British Bake-Off. Why not have it in our Marquee! Try something simple like decorate the cake! Set a subject and have people map out their ideas. Give everyone pre-made bases, icing, and decorative materials and let them get creative. Score at the end and reveal star baker! You can do as many rounds and ideas as you like.
We hope this blog has inspired you to keep oiling that team-machine. Whether working from home or after your return to the workplace. Maybe you have your own ideas, why not share them with us? Drop us an email or visit our website and we can discuss your next team building day!