I suspect we have all seen videos or read articles from the recent heartbreaking news of George Floyd. I am sure this all left you in shock, disgust and confusion.
It’s 2020 and racism still exists.
We implore you to use your voice at this time. Don’t be a bystander to this.
It’s important to understand the layers and depth of racism to identify, address and tackle it.
The Four Dimensions of Racism
Policies and practices that reinforce racist standards within a workspace or organisation.
Multiple institutions collectively upholding racist policies and practices, ie. society.
Racist acts and micro-aggressions carried out from one person to another.
The subtle and overt messages that reinforce negative beliefs and self-hatred in individuals.
Understanding what optical allyship is;
“Allyship that only serves at the surface level to perform the ‘ally’, it makes a statement but does not go beneath the surface and is not aimed at breaking away from the systems of power that oppress.” – Latham Thomas
Ravens Ait have created a list in which you can exercise your voice and knowledge on the matter;
Re-educate yourself; through TV, Film, News, Podcasts, Activist videos, etc. Here is a few suggestions;
- Film- The Hate U Give, 2018
- Book- White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
- Podcast- About Race with Reni Eddo-Lodge
- Documentary Film- 13TH, 2016
- Book- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
- Book- **NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER** How To Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- Podcast- Brené with Ibram X. Kendi on How to Be an Antiracist
- Justice for George Floyd https://www.change.org/p/minneapolis-police-department-justice-for-george-floyd
- Justice for Breonna Taylor https://www.change.org/p/andy-beshear-justice-for-breonna-taylor
- Sign the public open letter against racism and police brutality https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/george_floyd_loc/?slideshow
- Julius Jones is innocent. Don’t let him be executed by the state of Oklahoma. https://www.change.org/p/julius-jones-is-innocent-don-t-let-him-be-executed-by-the-state-of-oklahoma
- Justice for Belly Mujinga. https://www.change.org/p/govia-thameslink-justice-for-belly-mujinga
- Justice for Delsie Gayle, the elderly lady racially abused on Ryanair flight. https://www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-justice-for-delsie-gayle-the-elderly-lady-racially-abused-on-ryanair-flight
- Stop the UK government from sending rubber bullets, tear gas and riot shields to the US. https://www.change.org/p/boris-johnson-stop-the-uk-government-from-sending-rubber-bullets-tear-gas-and-riot-shields-to-the-us
There are so many ways to use your voice, signing a petition or several is one of many ways you are actively involved in being an ally.
- Official George Floyd Memorial Fund https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd
- HELP POWER THE MOVEMENT https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/support-us?refcode=coc_website_popup
- Black Visions Collective https://www.blackvisionsmn.org/
- NAACP Legal Defence and Educational Fund https://www.naacpldf.org/
- Racial Justice Network https://www.totalgiving.co.uk/charity/racial-justice-network
- Send an email to your local MP https://www.writetothem.com/
If there are areas we have missed, we welcome a response and engagement, let us know.
Use your voice and stay safe | Ravens Ait | Sales team – Sasha Glasscock